Thursday, September 9, 2010

currently obsessing about: Madewell

I've always been a fan of nice basics (at least in theory, if not always so much in practice), and this season has brought that back full tilt. One of my current favourite places to browse online is Madewell (which I believe is meant to be j.crew's younger line or something). Lots of lovely separates and things you can tell yourself you'll be able to wear for the next ten years.... as long as you don't put on weight. Tho actually come to think of it, I just wore a skirt yesterday that I'd bought more than ten years ago and I've definintely put on weight since then so I guess you never know. Or maybe the moral of the story is to always buy stretchy items... hmm....
oh and of course, a post about Madewell wouldn't be complete without mentioning the collaboration they've just launched recently with Alexa Chung. I wasn't planning on liking it, but actually it's a really nice collection. One piece in particular really caught my eye... but really that deserves it's own post, so more about that later. In the meantime, here are a few of my favourites from their main collection.

Now this is seriously tempting. I LOVE maxi dresses and this strikes the perfect balance between casual and dressed up. My main gripe about most maxi dresses is that somehow on me, your average black one looks a bit like an evening dress for some reason. Could just be that the locals here just dress very casually all the time so anything more than that looks dressed up, but it could just be me. Anyway, on top of all that, it's on sale! And in all sizes....

Now this I suspect has more to do with my being obsessed with shirtdresses at the moment than anything else. Even so, there's always something appealing about a permanently crumpled shirt/shirtdress. makes you stop worrying about it so much. And I also love that the placket only goes halfway... somehow these always look better on me that the traditional ones that button all the way down. Just need to make sure it'll fit over my hips tho! oh and last but not least, this is part of a collab with Wanderlust which makes all these dresses in Siem Reap so buying it will directly benefit the artisans there. That should assuage any residual guilt you have about spending the money on this :)

Can you tell I'm totally obsessed with nude tones? I'm trying to figure out thought if I like this dress purely because of the model/styling. I just love this look so much... the boots with the flippy little dress, plus the cardigan and the glasses! I think the glasses make the look. Not that I would ever wear them though.... so the real question for me is if I took that all away, would I still want it? difficult one....

No comments:

Post a Comment